Preparing pumpkin seeds is completely cool and easy. Although my methods are not extreme, they are effective and easy. What I like best is that pumpkin seeds are what you would regularly throw away. I mean, what other activity do you get to reuse the waste product and eat it. Certainly, you don't eat sawdust after spending a day woodworking. Most people don't eat the paste after they do paper mache (although 5 year olds often do).
Before you eat the pumpkin seeds you have to roast them. Don't worry, it is easy.
What you need to make great pumpkin seeds.
1. An oven
2. A baking sheet
3. Melted Butter
6. Seasoning (optional)
Here is how to do it.
1. Do a mediocre job of separating the goo and guts from the actual seeds. Donít rinse them or they wonít taste as good.
2. Add salt to the seeds. I suggest 1 teaspoon for every 2 cups of seeds.
3. Add the melted butter. I use 1 tablespoon.
4. Mix the salt (and/or seasonings), melted butter and seeds and then spread them on the baking sheet.
5. Roast them at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes. Stir them halfway through.
6. Take them out and eat them.
Pumpkin Seed Recipes / Pumpkin Seed Seasoning Ideas:
Sweet and Spicy: quarter cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and half teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Curry: 1 tablespoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon salt
Spicy Garlic: 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, half teaspoon cayenne pepper
Southwest: 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt, half teaspoon cayenne pepper
Pumpkin Seed Eating Facts:
1. Some types of pumpkin seeds have less husk than others.
2. You can eat the whole seed, husk and all. Donít worry.
3. 50 grams of seeds has 5 grams of dietary fiber. That will keep you regular.
4. Pumpkin seeds are also said to be good for Gout, Prostate Health and are supposedly an aphrodesiac.
5. Both German and Bulgarian folk medicines say that eating pumpkin seeds prevents impotence.
6. Roasted pumpkin seeds will keep for about a week in the fridge.